From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alas, Alex [FEDI]
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:45 PM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: [Condor-users] Condor and VMWare server, version 1 or 2, which one
is better?

Question:
I was assigned to build a new condor cluster. We have a set of HP servers
that are loaded with Linux OS, the software we are trying to implement for
processing is meant to run on Windows platforms. We want to keep the Linux
side of those servers so we were thinking to make them dual boot and load
Windows XP but I have two little issues:
1) Those HP Servers are not windows XP compatible which is forcing me to use
Windows Server 2003 and that will increase my operational costs
2)  Because Linux is loaded first, when I try to load Windows, it doesn?t
get installed if it is not using the 0,0 partition, which complicates my
dual-boot configuration.
After all that being said, I was thinking that my best way to work around
all my limitations is to load the VMware server for Linux and load the
windows XP machines that I will use on my new condor pool but I don?t know
what version of VMware Server suits better for condor. If any of you have
any negative input of version or performance issues
Is version VMware Server 2.0 yet supported on Condor version 7.2.1? If not
which of the 1.0 has the best performance records?
Thanks in advance for your input,

Respectfully,
Alex Alas
Systems Administrator
Fugro EarthData Inc.
Tel. 301-948-8550 x219 Fax 301-963-2064 E-mail: aalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
7320 Executive Way, Frederick, MD  21704
Website: http://www.fugroearthdata.com