[Condor-users] Howto make vanilla universive only run serial jobs and don't suspend any jobs on one-machine Condor?

Hi, all,

I just installed condor in my ubuntu 8.04 system with two CPUs (each has four cores) and 4G memory.
I usually want to run vanilla jobs serially one by one or four by four. Now condor displays that my server could run 4 jobs to 6 jobs at the same time. But often, when I use this server to do some other things at the same time such as editing scripts, Condor suspends one or two jobs to make server run at least 4 jobs. Sometime, even I didn't interfere the server, when I submitted 10 or more jobs, Condor would suspend 4 or more jobs after they run for a while.

I guess condor could manage the system computing resource dynamically and assign jobs the resource. But once condor suspends some jobs, it would not restart or resume them again even the server stay idle for a whole day.

I tried condor_hold and condor_release but condor still can't resume or restart the jobs.

All I want is to make Condor run my jobs one by one or four by four. Or at least condor should not suspend any jobs since condor can't resume the vanilla jobs or restart the vanilla jobs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Besides, after the installation, I only changed the Part1 in global configuration file.

Thanks,

Xiaowei Song

--
Xiao-Wei Song, Research Assistant
Ping Zhu's Lab, Center for Structural and Molecular Biology