Re: [Condor-users] Purpose of .dbg binaries?

> I'm wondering what's the purpose of the *.dbg binaries which
> are shipped
> in condor-7.2.4-linux-x86_64-debian50.tar.gz - if I naively invoke
> condor_version.dbg, I get a Segmentation fault.

Those aren't executable files. They can't be run. That's why you get the segfault. They contain debug information useful if you're trying to do on-the-fly debugging of the Condor binaries. They translate all the compiler-munged variable and method names back to human-readable ones and keep code references for all the stuff.

You can delete them if you're not debugging Condor. Although I think the stack traces might contain more interesting information if they're present. Someone from the Condor team can clarify that one.

> Have those binaries been left in the tarball by accident?

Nope. But you can do a:

        find . -name "*.dbg" -exec rm -f {} \;

And it'll trim your distribution by a considerable amount.

- Ian

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution,  or copying  of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.