Re: [Condor-users] reject your job because of their own requirements

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM, michele pierri <pierm4ci@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have set Start=true in my local configuration file and now it work.
> But I have really understand what I have done with this command.

Basically, that tells Condor to start jobs always.  For a dedicated
execute host, that's probably okay, but if you only want jobs to start
under certain conditions then you need to first figure out what those
conditions are and then craft an expression to match it.

> Can you explain me? I have read Condor Manual but I have not understand very well.

One of the simpler examples is to only start jobs if the the
keyboard/mouse have been idle for some period of time that you define
as StartIdleTime:

START = KeyboardIdle > $(StartIdleTime)

Of course that might not be sufficient to meet your needs.  The
example policy in the Condor configuration is:

START      = ( (KeyboardIdle > $(StartIdleTime)) \
                    && ( $(CPUIdle) || \
                         (State != "Unclaimed" && State != "Owner")) )

This starts jobs if the keyboard has been idle for longer than the
time we defined AND either the CPU is idle (CPUIdle is defined
elsewhere in the config file) or the state is not unclaimed or owner.

You can also set it to only run jobs from a certain user or group,
with a certain memory or disk footprint, or any other ClassAd that can
be defined (including arbitrary ones you define).  See
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/10_Appendix_A.html for more
information about ClassAds.

--
Ben Cotton