Re: [Condor-users] condor-g job status unknown caused dagman to exit

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Peter Doherty wrote:

To the condor experts,

I'm using Condor-G and this job (see logs below) caused a large dag to exit unexpectedly this morning. I understand the concept of BAD EVENTS ( in this case the job started executing after it was supposed to be done)
But I want to know how to prevent this from happening.

From what I can see the job's state became unknown (What causes this? I see it happen a lot actually) and then Condor abandoned the job, but then the job called back home and instead of just ignoring it, it heard the call, but then got confused, and dagman exited.
It seems like a bug to me.

You could try working around it by setting a non-default value for
DAGMAN_ALLOW_EVENTS (see
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/3_3Configuration.html#19172
in the manual).

I'm actually not quite sure what DAGMan will do if it doesn't immediately
consider the execute event "bad" -- it might still run into problems farther along, but it seems worth trying.

It seems like the real question is whether this is something that should be dealt with at the DAGMan level or the Condor level -- we'll have to discuss that on our end. If we deal with it at the DAGMan level, we'd have to allow a new job state transition -- from completed/failed to executing to possibly completed/succeeded.

Kent Wenger
Condor Team