[Condor-users] classad and slots

I'm not sure i understand how a classad mechanism works, hopefully
someone can straighten it out for me

I've defined a classad in the config file

GPU_DEVICE=999

I then have a condor cron script that adds in

SLOT1_GPU_DEVICE=0
SLOT2_GPU_DEVICE=1
SLOT3_GPU_DEVICE=2

What i'd like to do is reference the slot level config variable from
my submit script

Arguments = $([Target.GPU_DEVICE])

When i submit a test program, i seem to be getting the 999 value
instead of the Slot level value

Are Slot level classads referential as non-slot level (ie GPU_DEVICE
instead of SLOT1_GPU_DEVICE) from a submit file?

How can I check these using condor_status?  I tried the constraint
option, but i'm not sure i have the syntax right