From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob [spamrefuse@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:07 AM
To: condor-users
Subject: [Condor-users] "vm_cdrom_files = a, b, c" : How does this work?

Hi,

I have a pool of WIndows XP Condor pool PCs, which have VMware 1.0.6 installed.

I want to submit a condor job as a VMware image with a linux OS (ttyLinux).

I'd like to use this feature of "vm_cdrom_files = ...", but I don't understand how this works.
The manual says:

---- quote --------------

A CD-ROM for the virtual machine is composed of a set of files.
These files are specified in the submit description file
with a comma-separated list of file names.
  vm_cdrom_files = a.txt,b.txt,c.txt

If these files are not on a shared file system visible to
the machine that will run the vm universe job, then
Condor must also be told to transfer them from
the submit machine with
  vm_should_transfer_cdrom_files = YES
---- end-quote -------------
Basic questions I have are:

* How do I set up the configuration of the CD-Rom in the VMware virtual machine?

* Once the virtual linux system is up and running, how can it access the cdrom files?
Should it mount the CD-Rom? On the linux system, the boot message has:
          hda: VMware Virtual IDE Hard Drive, ATA DISK drive
          hdb: VMware Virtual IDE CDROM Drive, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Should I then do "mount -t iso6990 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom" to access the condor cdrom files?
I've tried this, but it doesn't seem to work......
If condor wraps these files into an iso image (does it?), then how can I tell the VMware
configuration to use a not-yet-existing iso image for the CDrom???

Thank you!

Rob.