Re: [Condor-users] [CondorLIGO] Means to debug config file?

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 08:58:27AM +0100, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> After having updated config files from 7.2.x to 7.4.x, I noticed
> several typos which had gone unnoticed for a long time. Thus my question:
> Is there a simple means to identify misspelled or obsolete macros in
> Condor's config_file? That is, macro names that only show up on the
> left hand side of the equal sign, without being referenced on the RHS
> somewhere, and also not defined within Condor itself (with a default
> value)?

Currently, there is no easy way.

I'd say that you could get a list of correctly spelled config file
attributes from a pristine condor_config file (with condor_config_val
-dump and some sed hackery), sort them and store them into a file.

Then again using ccv -dump and sed, extract the attributes from your
configuration of Condor into another file and use 'comm' (which should be
available on most unicies) to compare them.

Beyond that little shell hackery though, there isn't much more a user
can do to find obselete attributes or one which are internal to Condor
like NUM_CPUS....

However, we have a push in Condor to try and present a much better user
interface to our configuration system. At this time we don't have a date
for release, but are pretty far into the specification writing phase.

With ~700 well known configuration file attributes and ~800
algorithmically generated attributes, the time had come for this to be
addressed. If your interested at seeing the work in progress, you can
view git trac ticket 988 which has references to past phases of the work:

http://condor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=988

I will warn you that this ticket and the things it currently describes
are in flux as members of our team look it over and make suggestions.
Our use of config parameters is quite complex and isn't solved by a
simple set of attr=value pairs.  Once this ticket settles down there
will be text in there stating the specification is accepted.

As a corollary, ticket #767 is an almost complete database of well-known
condor_config file parameters and their values.

Thank you.

-pete