Re: [Condor-users] Condor and Python

> I write a python script which takes too much time to run in my Mac... I
> therefore turn to Condor for help. I've learned the way to run Matlab
> script in Condor so I guess running Python should be similar.

It depends on how you plan to speed things up.

I assume the speed up with Matlab comes from a discretisation of
the computation and using the Matlab Compiler Runtime to process
those, then smaller run time, computational units in an embarassingly
parallel batch fashion.

You can do the same for the "loops" in your python scripts and just
submit them into your Condor pool as you would any other script,
assuming python is somewhere on the path available for you on the
resources uderlying your Condor pool.

I guess you could compile the python too, should it not be on the
remote boxes, thereby paralleling the Matlab use case even further.
I am less familiar with the supporting environment needed for the
running of compiled python though.

If, however, your Matlab speed up comes from utilising one their
parallel toolboxes, you'll need to find similar packages for your
python environment which would then require some tailoring of the
underlying Condor "universe" too, to do the explicit, message passing,
parallelisation.

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971