Re: [Condor-users] offline compute nodes and Rooster

I've made progress on a couple of fronts.

1. Realised that we'd changed ROOSTER_UNHIBERNATE to a daft setting.

We had

 ROOSTER_UNHIBERNATE = Unhibernate && Offline =?= False

... which I don't think would ever match.  Changing it to the default value of

 ROOSTER_UNHIBERNATE = Unhibernate && Offline == True

... worked better but because I don't think we're setting Unhibernate properly yet I've currently got

 ROOSTER_UNHIBERNATE = Offline == True

2. Hacked together a script using condor_advertise to publish ADS for offline machines.  This works and with the sensible setting for ROOSTER_UNHIBERNATE leads to hibernating machines being woken up by Rooster to service jobs.   Remaining problem was that the ADS disappeared after about 20 minutes.  Bit more poking around took me back to Ian's message to the list (https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/2010-January/msg00148.shtml).  Adding ClassAdLifetime to the published AD seems to have done the trick (at least the test machine has stayed visible for over 25 minutes).

I think this leads me to what I need to do to make this work without the external script - just need to set ClassAdLifetime on the compute nodes to something useful (currently using 2 days).  Once we've got that I think the only remaining issue is our power management system sometimes not noticing Condor activity (but that's definitely a local problem).

Paul