[Condor-users] Clarification on Job suspension, holding, and vacating

I am having a little trouble getting a clear description of a few
features of Condor. I'm running jobs in the Vanilla universe and would
like to be able to "suspend" and "resume" a job (whatever the proper
nomenclature is) such that a job's state is captured so no work is
lost.

My use case is: I have a few low priority long running jobs that will
always be running, as well as occasional short running high priority
jobs. I would like for the high priority jobs to be able to preempt
the lower priority jobs, but I don't want to lose any progress on the
low priority ones (since they are costly). I feel like this is
possible, but I'm a bit confused on the vocabulary.

So, if someone would be so kind as to clarify the following concepts.
Specifically, I'd like to know what happens to the job and the
resources on the remote system.

* Suspension (via SUSPEND and WANT_SUSPEND semantics)
* Vacation (via condor_vacate and condor_job_vacate)
* Holding (via condor_hold)

Thanks
--
David Arthur