Re: [Condor-users] Submit Jobs question.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Ian Chesal <ichesal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/9/23 Edier Alberto Zapata Hernández <edalzap@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
 I have a question about job submit:
Let's say I have 4 PCs with One QuadCore processor eachone, Condor shows them as:
slot1@xxxxxx
slot4@xxxxxx
slot1@xxxxxx
slot4@xxxxxx

And when I submit a job to run multiple times: "queue 4" for example, Condor uses Cores not processors, Is there a directive in the SubmitFile to restrict the use to Processors not Cores?

So when you submit those four jobs you never want them to all run on the same machine? You can limit them by slot:

requirements = SlotID == 1

It's going to restrict their throughput a bit because you're elimination some potential valid combinations. For example: if other jobs are running in slots 1, 3 and 4 on a machine your job won't run in slot 2 because it's bound to run in only slot 1 on any machine.

How do I run the job in the 4 PCs (using all the cores in each one?)
This question is for Vanilla, Standard and Parallel universes (Parallel = MPI)

If you  don't want Condor to advertise all 4 cores you could configure your machines with:

NUM_CPUS = 1

And then the machines would only advertise 1 slot each.

But what happend with the other 3 cores? Condor will not use them?

- Ian

Cycle Computing, LLC
The Leader in Open Compute Solutions for Clouds, Servers, and Desktops
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com