Re: [Condor-users] JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT parameter causing error (Windows)

Thanks Ziliang, I understand that JVM needs -Xmx100m (for example), but the documentation says that it is the name of the parameter:

JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT
An incomplete command line argument to the Java interpreter (the Java
Virtual Machine) to specify the switch name for the Maxheap Argument.
Condor uses it to construct the maximum heap size for the Java Virtual
Machine. For example, the value for the Sun JVM is -Xmx.

(An incomplete command line argument... specify the switch name for the Maxheap Argument... Condor uses it to construct the maximum heap size... the value for the Sun JVM is -Xmx (and not -Xmx<value>m) ).

In linux machines, it works as stated in the documentation. So, or the documentation is incorrect or condor at each platform interprets this parameter diferently.
I started sending this message to show that there is an inconsistency and thus a correction must be made.

Regards,
Klaus

Ziliang Guo <ziliang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

31/03/2011 14:53

Please respond to
Condor-Users Mail List <condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Condor-Users Mail List <condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [Condor-users] JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT parameter causing error        (Windows)

Klaus: The -Xmx parameter needs to have a value after it, like -Xmx100m or something, to be a valid parameter to the JVM.  The Windows config file has just -Xmx in the JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT config knob and not a value after it.  That could potentially cause problems as the code does not seem to actually check if there is a numerical value after -Xmx.  We probably should set a default.  The -classpath parameter may also be an issue but I have not looked into it.

Michael: I'm not quite sure what the source of your problem is, though there are a couple caveats one has to keep in mind with respect to paths and 32bit vs 64bit.  First, Condor does not work with spaces in paths, period.  In the installer, if the installer is able to find java.exe, it will convert that path into a short path, something like C:\PROGA~2\java\jre6\bin\java.exe.  If you manually specified the path, especially if it was a path to the default location Java6 has been installed to, it likely has a space, which results in Condor not being able to find java.exe.  Second, because the installer is a 32bit application, on 64bit systems that have Java 64bit installed, Windows actually can lie and claim that Java is installed in the "Program Files (x86)" directory instead of the regular "Program Files" directory.  There is supposed to be a check to make sure the file given by a path exists before it gets written into the config file by the installer, but due to Windows' lying, the check may actually pass.  Finally, I have no idea what "copy the java installation to an NTFS" means.