[Condor-users] condor_reconfig startd fails if server is busy

Hi,
I've been puzzling over this for a while. I've looked for documentation relating to it, but have only found the basic condor_reconfig page - http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/condor_reconfig.html which doesn't detail the part I'm curious about.

When I modify a Condor server's config to add a new (or modify an existing) ClassAd I have found that it only reloads if the server in question is currently idle.

For example, I modified a dual core (Windows XP) machine to only offer one cpu and increased the memory advertised as available to that core. I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but for illustrative purposes only:
# file: C:\condor\condor_config.local
NUM_SLOTS = 1
Memory = 1001

Then I reload the config:
C:\> condor_reconfig -subsystem startd
Sent "Reconfig" command to local startd

Which works fine (Previously Memory = 512):
C:\> condor_status -long gps06
Memory = 1001

I've noticed that if this server is currently running a job the reconfig request doesn't process. I don't see any errors in the condor_reconfig output (where else might I look?), it just doesn't update the ClassAds.

Example: Continuing from above, I changed Memory back to 512 and re-ran the reconfig command. Memory still shows up as 1001 and jobs requiring "Memory>1000" still start running on it.

Is this by design? I know I could stop the condor service and restart it (C:\> condor_off then C:\>condor_on) but this would ditch the currently running job. Being in the Vanilla universe, this will kill the running job and force it to restart from the beginning somewhere else.

Many thanks for any pointers

Rob Stevenson - Systems Administrator
Support Services

HR Wallingford Ltd
Howbery Park, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 8BA, United Kingdom
e: r.stevenson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
t: +44 (0) 1491 822472 (direct), +44 (0) 1491 835381 (switchboard)
f: +44 (0) 1491 825483 (direct), +44 (0) 1491 832233 (general)
www.hrwallingford.co.uk

HR Wallingford uses faxes and emails for confidential and legally privileged business communications. They do not of themselves create legal commitments. Disclosure to parties other than addressees requires our specific consent. We are not liable for unauthorised disclosures nor reliance upon them.
If you have received this message in error please advise us immediately and destroy all copies of it.

HR Wallingford Limited
Howbery Park, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 8BA, United Kingdom
Registered in England No. 02562099