Re: [Condor-users] purpose of scheduler universe

> I understand the DAGMan uses scheduler universe as default but I am still
> trying to understand why anyone would want to use it. Presently, I use vanilla
> for everything functions but is there a feature in 'scheduler' universe I can
> utilize? I apologize for being vague.

Under most circumstances you should not use the scheduler
universe. Leave that for DAGman and other metaschedulers.

Instead of the scheduler universe look into the "local
universe". The local universe allows a job to run "locally"
without waiting to be matched with a machine.

A typical use is to allow a job to run on the head node of a
cluster, perhaps to access a remote network resource that the
worker nodes do not have access to because of firewalls or
private networks.

Why use Condor to run jobs on the "local" machine instead of
just running them in a shell? As with most things Condor, the
reason is more control over how the job will run.

It's all about (properly) managing the job(s)...

Cheers,

Scott