From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ian Chesal
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:27 PM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] condor questions

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Biju Ramachandran <biju.ramachandran@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi there :

I am new to Condor and  I am planning to make Condor as the new Renderfarm Manger on our studio. We use 3dsMax/Maya/Sofimage/AE/Fusion and other apps. Our studio is on Windows environment and hence I have the following question :

·         Which would be the best OS to run Condor Master..?

I'll always recommend Linux for the master and scheduler nodes if you can get away with it. Linux handles the large volume of processes and network connections Condor can create far better than Windows ever has.

There are some complications submitting from Linux schedulers to Windows execute hosts but they are not insurmountable and the end result is almost always a more stable pool.

·         Would like to use Python as the scripting language – so which interface would be ideal to go with SOAP/DRMAA..?

I'd start with the command line. You can pipe submission information in to the condor_submit binary:

import fcntl

import os

import subprocess

ticket = 'universe=vanilla\nexecutable=sleep\narguments=10m\n'

process = subprocess.Popen("condor_submit", stdin=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)

flags = fcntl.fcntl(process.stdout, fcntl.F_GETFL)

fcntl.fcntl(process.stdout, fcntl.F_SETFL, flags | os.O_NONBLOCK)

process.stdin.write(ticket)

And so on...

    Lastly a link to a good documentation for the best practices of implementing Condor .?

The manual, while a bit of a beast, is The Tome of Knowledge for Condor.

You can find some specific tips and tricks for working with Condor on Cycle's blog as well:

Regards,

- Ian