From: Niessen-Derry, Evan <eniessen-derry@xxxxxxxx<mailto:%22Niessen-Derry,%20Evan%22%20%3ceniessen-derry@xxxxxxxx%3e>>
To: condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx <condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:%22condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx%22%20%3ccondor-users@cs.wisc.edu%3e>>
Subject: [Condor-users] Can't get executable to run.
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:46:30 -0600

Hi Condor-Users,

I'm currently investigating the use of Condor to solve some automation needs and after setting it up on two Ubuntu machines, when I submit the following job:

Executable   = lin_test.sh
Universe     = vanilla
Requirements = OpSys == "LINUX" && Arch == "INTEL"
error        = loop.error
Log          = loop.log
output       = loop.out
TRANSFER_FILES = ALWAYS
Queue
8<-------------------------
Where lin_test.sh is:

#!/bin/sh
echo This is from `hostname` in $PWD
echo This is a message from `hostname` > file.txt
I get the following error:

Hold reason: Error from starter on slot1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:slot1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>: Failed to execute '/var/lib/condor/execute/dir_15980/condor_exec.exe': Permission denied
I have attached the (hopefully) relevant output from StarterLog.slot1.  The most important line from it, as far as I can tell, is:
1/27 14:26:37 warning: unable to chmod condor_exec.exe to ensure execute bit is set: Operation not permitted.

The daemon is running as root on cvstest, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how it could not be permitted to chmod condor_exec.exe.  Any know what might be going on?

-Evan Niessen-Derry