Re: [Condor-users] override user rank expression

On Friday, July 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:

Is there a mechanism in Condor that would allow condor to ignore a
rank _expression_ in a users submit file? I'd like to enforce that
every condor submit gets RANK=Target.Rank and ignores anything a user
might have submitted in his file
Unfortunately, no. There's an APPEND_RANK and DEFAULT_RANK setting -- the former appends to an existing RANK statement in a submission and the latter sets a default RANK if there isn't one in the submission. But there's nothing that lets you replace RANK outright.

This is a good case for submission wrappers: a layer of code between your users and Condor that you control. They give you the ability to control site-wide policies a little better when Condor doesn't the necessary mechanisms to enforce things for you. For example, in CycleServer we have the concept of "submission rules" that can be set for a site. These rules override anything a user might put in their submission file so site administrators can force things like a specific RANK statement on to every job.

Regards,
- Ian

---
Ian Chesal

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Open Compute Solutions for Clouds, Servers, and Desktops
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com
http://twitter.com/cyclecomputing