Re: [Condor-users] Condor - condor_schedd daemon per pool or what?

Michael O'Donnell wrote:
  Sassy,

I am not expert, but one main advantage to having multiple schedds is that a single machine can submit only so many jobs. This varies btw OS/platform of course and at least on Windows it is related to the desktop heap size (this can be increased, but there is a limit). I am not as familiar with Mac/Linux/Unix, but for windows you can only have so many people logged on to a machine. Therefore, if you want to submit by remotely logging on to a machine you may run into limitations here as well. The other thing to think about is that multiple schedds also allows you to set up high availability (fail over). If one of the schedds go down the queue can be transferred to a different schedd (this has to be set up because Condor does not default to this set up).

Another advantage is convenience. In our department, for instance, we run a schedd on every researcher's desktop. This allow researchers to easily submit jobs directly from their desktop machine, which has several nice properties:
 - enables their jobs to read/write to data files stored on local disk.
- similar to the above, we have folks that install submit machines (schedds) in their own labs on their own NATs so that their jobs have access to file servers / databases etc that are private to that lab. - when the researcher type "condor_q" etc, they just see their own jobs, which is all many people care about (they can always type "condor_q -global" if they wish to see job submitted on all schedds in the pool).

-Todd