Re: [Condor-users] Restrict Condor to don't use X cores in a multicore node.

On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Edier Zapata wrote:

Good morning,
 Is there a way to avoid the use of X cores by Condor?
 Example:
  I have a 8 cores node, but I want Condor to use only the cores 3 to 8 and have cores 1 and 2 free of Condor's processing.
 Is there a way to do this?
Add:

NUM_SLOTS = 6

to the condor_config.local file for the machine and it will only advertise 6 slots instead of 8. That's the quick way to do it. If you want 1/8th of the memory per slot instead of 1/6th you need to define a new slot type:

SLOT_TYPE_1 = 1/8
NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_1 = 6
NUM_SLOTS = 6

I think you need the NUM_SLOTS in there still to keep Condor from using the 2 additional CPUs you didn't use with TYPE_1 -- play around with that one. It's been a while since I divided things any way other than evenly.

For details see: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/3_13Setting_Up.html#sec:SMP-Divide

Regards,
- Ian

---
Ian Chesal

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Open Compute Solutions for Clouds, Servers, and Desktops
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com
http://twitter.com/cyclecomputing

Thanks.