[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Condor-users] [Condor-devel] How about adding VirtualBox as another option to the VM universe?
- Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 10:12:00 -0400
- From: Matthew Farrellee <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Condor-users] [Condor-devel] How about adding VirtualBox as another option to the VM universe?
On 05/18/2011 10:00 AM, Rob wrote:
I have a feeling that VirtualBox is catching up very fast in the VM world.
Here at my university I also have several Windows machines on which
VMware 1.0.10 does not work (and nobody knows why; funny hardware?), but
VirtualBox works like a charm!
VirtualBox also comes with an API, which (I assume) can help Condor to
do the same thing as what Condor does not with VMware.
Therefore I wonder:
1. Has somebody already done something along these lines?
2. I am willing to help, despite my limited knowledge of the API and VM
I think a VirtualBox VM universe could make Condor's virtual machining
Condor uses two interfaces to manage VM guests on execute nodes: 0)
libvirt; 1) VMware Server 1.0(?).
The libvirt website lists VirtualBox as a supported hypervisor. It
should be a matter of crafting the proper domain xml to use virtual box.
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/condor-cloud.git has some examples of
how you can inject domain xml as an attribute to a job and have that xml
then passed to libvirt. If you can work out the xml then it is a
straightforward task to update condor_submit and condor_vm-gahp to
include virtual box as another VM Universe type alongside vmware, kvm