Re: [Condor-users] bind failed: WSAError = 10055 and 10048

kschwarz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Environment: Condor 7.2.4, Windows XP

I am getting the following message in the MasterLog, SchedLog, and StartdLog files on a Window Desktop:

MASTERLOG:

11/22 04:21:28 bind failed: WSAError = 10055
11/22 04:21:28 SafeSock::connect bind() failed: _state = 1

Winsock Error 10055 = WSAENOBUFS, the system has not enough memory or other system resources to open new TCP/IP socket or to handle socket data.

Does the problem happen consistently? If you reboot this XP machine, does the problem still persist? Is this happening on many XP machines in your shop? If the answer is yes to any of the questions, it may be possible we have a bug in the code to hunt down. If the answer is generally no, then there may not be much we can do code-wise as the problem is environmental --- some common internet wisdom on environmental causes of the WSAENOBUFS error:

You receive an error message when you run a custom Winsock network programon a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;905628

When you try to connect from TCP ports greater than 5000 you receive the
error 'WSAENOBUFS (10055)'
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;196271
(thought: perhaps you could specify a port range in the condor config file to get around this one? if this turns out to help, let us know, perhaps we should change default configuration on windows limit the port range...)

You can also use TCPView to monitor how many TCP connections opened in your process when this issue happens:
TCPView for Windows v2.51
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/TcpView.mspx

hope this helps,
Todd