Re: [Condor-users] In a multi-startd setup, how do you prevent starter log collisions?

On Wednesday, 7 September, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:

Simple suggestion: instead of $(PID), use $(PPID) which will use the
parent pid. So now you will have a separate starter log per startd
instead of a separate starter log per starter. Perhaps this is all you
wanted.
That'd work. A bit messy with restarts, but I can live with that.
More complicated but general suggestion: Anything in the config can be
overridden via the environment - you can set STARTER_LOG via an
environment variable _condor_STARTER_LOG. Condor daemons inherit the
environment from there parent.
Perfect. I wasn't 100% certain on whether environment vars could override config settings in this case.
Combine this with the config knob
<DaemonName>_Environment
(for descip of this knob see
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.6/3_3Configuration.html#16988 )
and I think we have a general solution. So if you wanted
StarterLog.S1.slotX, StarterLog.S2.slotX, ...
I am hoping all you need to do is add the following to your config above:
STARTD1_ENVIRONMENT = "_condor_STARTER_LOG=StarterLog.S1"
STARTD2_ENVIRONMENT = "_condor_STARTER_LOG=StarterLog.S2"

Disclaimer: The above suggestions are off the top of my head, I didn't
test them...
No sweat. I'l test them. That's definitely the solution I'm after. Thanks!

Ian, hope the above helps. If it does... could I twist your arm to
volunteer to write a HOWTO on the wiki that captures your recipe for
configuring a multi-startd setup? :)
No problem!

Regards,
- Ian

---
Ian Chesal

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Open Compute Solutions for Clouds, Servers, and Desktops
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com
http://twitter.com/cyclecomputing