Re: [Condor-users] Is setting "POOL_HISTORY_DIR = $(HISTORY)" bad for condor_history?

----- Original Message -----
From: Alain Roy <roy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Condor-Users Mail List <condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] Is setting "POOL_HISTORY_DIR = $(HISTORY)" bad for condor_history?

On Apr 3, 2012, at 8:25 AM, Rob wrote:
> My condor_history command is producing lots of error messages:
>

> $ condor_version
> $CondorVersion: 7.7.5 Mar 07 2012 $
> $CondorPlatform: X86_64-Fedora_16 $
> $ condor_history
>  ID      OWNER            SUBMITTED     RUN_TIME ST   COMPLETED CMD
> *** Warning: Bad history file; skipping malformed ad(s)
> *** Warning: Bad history file; skipping malformed ad(s)
> *** Warning: Bad history file; skipping malformed ad(s)
> [...zip....a zillion more of these lines!!!!....]
>
> I thought I let the view_client module share the history folder by setting:
> POOL_HISTORY_DIR = $(HISTORY)
>

> Is that the reason for condor_history going bezerk?

Yes. The POOL_HISTORY_DIR should be separate from the HISTORY file.

The HISTORY file is a single file (rotated periodically) that keeps track of all completed jobs. The default in our configuration is to put it in the spool directory, i.e.:

  HISTORY = $(SPOOL)/HISTORY

-alain

Oops, I didn't realize $(HISTORY) is handled as a file.
So, in the process I accidentally removed the history file.
Now I have fixed it, by using a different directory for the pool history and after that the $(HISTORY) file is automagically regenerated by Condor.

Even more interesting: after this fix, the newly submitted Condor jobs have cluster number 1.
Is that the expected behavior? Does the new cluster number depend on what's in the history file?

Rob.