[Condor-users] Avoiding preemption ping-pong

Hi there,

I have recently observed the jobs of two users keep preempting each other every few hours.

We are running a small condor pool with some dedicated machines.
Two users have submitted a large number of long running jobs. Both users have roughly the same priority.

Now, what happens is that first one of the users gets assigned all available resources. Once EUPs differ by 20%, all of that users' jobs are preempted and the other user gets all resources. This repeats every few hours and causes many cycles to be lost.

I believe preemption could be restricted by taking actual resource usage into account. Something like this might work in the two user case: PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS = RemoteUserPrio/RemoteUserResourcesInUse > TARGET.SubmitterUserPrio/TARGET.SubmitterUserResourcesInUse

Is it possible to implement a 'fair' and efficient preemption strategy for an arbitrary number of users? Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Martin