Re: [Condor-users] "." (dot) is no longer allowed to be part of STARTD_NAME or MASTER_NAME in 7.8

On Jul 31, 2012, at 11:05 PM, Yu Huang wrote:

> I recently did an upgrade from 7.7.2 to 7.8.1. and I ran several condor_master / condor_startd instances on the same machine (some glidein setup). so i need to differentiate them from each other. previously (7.7.2) I use $hostname.$timestamp as STARTD_NAME /MASTER_NAME. now (7.8.1) i found that is un-acceptable because condor just rejects it and uses the hostname as its value. After I replaced the middle "." with "_" or "\",things become fine.
>
> This is something that I couldn't find doc online. so someone else might get stuck on the same error.

You didn't find it because it's a bug, introduced in Condor 7.7.4. I've created a bug ticket in our tracking system:
https://condor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=3172

It'll be fixed in a future Condor 7.8 release.
Thank you for pointing out the odd behavior.

Thanks and regards,
Jaime Frey
UW-Madison Condor Team