[Condor-users] Problems with Condor 7.8.1 on Windows

Hello *,

we are trying to set up a Condor cluster for discrete optimization on Windows machines. Most machines are developer workstations with quad cores running Windows 7 Pro, but we also have a dedicated server for optimization running Windows Server 2003.

We encountered two severe problems that make it impossible to roll out Condor to a larger pool of machines:

1. On all machines, computing the load average does not work:

$condor_status -format "%d\t" LoadAvg -format "%s\n" Machine | /usr/bin/sort -n
0       x.ivu-ag.com
0       x.ivu-ag.com
0       x.ivu-ag.com
0       x.ivu-ag.com
0       y.ivu-ag.com
0       y.ivu-ag.com
0       y.ivu-ag.com
0       y.ivu-ag.com
0       z.ivu-ag.com
0       z.ivu-ag.com
0       z.ivu-ag.com
0       z.ivu-ag.com

In consequence, load based start and suspension policies do not work.

2. Start policies depending on keyboard/mouse activity work but suspension policies do not, i.e. jobs are started when there is no keyboard/mouse activity but are not suspended when the user returns.

This problem has already been reported in January 2010: https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/2010-January/msg00078.shtml

We installed Condor 7.8.1 from the MSI file using the setup assistant. We are using the standard UWCS policies.

Can these problems be fixed by changing the configuration or are we facing bugs?

Regards,

Dr. rer. nat. Michael Marte
Senior System Engineer
Public Transport