Re: [Condor-users] Want jobs to only follow job priority, but sometimes they sit idle forever!

On 02/13/2012 11:38 AM, Geoffrey Hibbert wrote:
I am trying to configure my central manager to follow these rules:

1) Disregard user priorities
2) Start newly submitted jobs with higher job priority quickly (<30
seconds past submission time)

Here are some of the hopefully relevant settings on the central manager:

NEGOTIATOR_IGNORE_USER_PRIORITIES = True
WANT_SUSPEND=FALSE
WANT_VACATE        = TRUE
START            = TRUE
SUSPEND            = FALSE
CONTINUE        = $(UWCS_CONTINUE)
PREEMPT            = TRUE
KILL            = $(UWCS_KILL)
PERIODIC_CHECKPOINT    = $(UWCS_PERIODIC_CHECKPOINT)
PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS    = $(UWCS_PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS)
PREEMPTION_RANK        = $(UWCS_PREEMPTION_RANK)
NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK = $(UWCS_NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK)
NEGOTIATOR_POST_JOB_RANK = $(UWCS_NEGOTIATOR_POST_JOB_RANK)
MaxJobRetirementTime    = $(UWCS_MaxJobRetirementTime)
CLAIM_WORKLIFE          = $(UWCS_CLAIM_WORKLIFE)
NEGOTIATOR_INTERVAL = 30

Thanks!

Geoffrey Hibbert

Here's a quick summary about priorities -

http://spinningmatt.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/ordering-jobs-job-priority-and-submitters/

It may be possible to cons up a config that would approximate your rules, but it will be prone to errors and may violate some other unstated rules.

If you really want to try, you should start by submitting all jobs with the same +AccountingGroup attribute. FYI, this means no accounting is reported between users. You might extend it by adding AccountingGroup to your SUBMIT_EXPRS.

FYI, the <30s SLA is only achievable when you have excess capacity.

Best,

matt