Re: [Condor-users] How to avoid matching lower ranked jobs to machines

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 15:59 +0200, Horvátth Szabolcs wrote:

> I see quite a lot of jobs matched to free machines and then get vacated at the next negotiation cycle in favor of a higher machine-ranked job (that was also in the queue when the first negotiation happened).
> I'd like to minimize this by making the negotiator respect the machine rank preferences and avoid a lower ranked job matching before a higher ranked one, but I'm not sure which attribute(s) to use.
> I was looking at NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK and NEGOTIATOR_POST_JOB_RANK but I don't know how to use them for this purpose.

One approach that may help you is to use "job-side" rank expression that
is aligned to the "slot-side" rank expression.  That will induce jobs to
favor the same slots that would favor them:
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.8/2_5Submitting_Job.html#1981

You can even make this automatic, using APPEND_RANK:
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.8/3_3Configuration.html#19896