[Condor-users] model systems? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Condor users,

I am trying to come to grips with some Condor issues and not having a strong systems admin background struggling to cope with the complexity of Condor.

It seems like a fine piece of work as they say, but I’m wondering if there might not be a way to help new users get started more easily as opposed to feeling over-whelmed by it.

Some suggestions to this end.

1.      Maybe a ‘key concepts’ document (more on ‘how’ it works rather than ‘what’ or ‘why’)

2.      A system administration UI (web based?) that could incorporate some kind of expert system even, to analyse logs, send test jobs and parse feedback.

3.      Some model systems, or config files for such.

In regard to 3. I think what we want to do (and probably did before I broke it) would be a very common use-case. We have a 6 dedicated Linux machines in a Condor pool that is being used already. Individuals would like to be able to submit a job from a laptop and then take that machine away and reconnect later to check the jobs progress, this is the use-case for which the grid universe is needed.

In addition we have more than 20 desktop machines that could be brought into another pool and made use of overnight. Because all machines are local user authentication is not needed and so our Condor configuration should be the simplest possible, other than the mix of Windows and Linux machines perhaps.

Regards

Stephen Cameron

Antarctic Fisheries Computing and Database Support Provider

Australian Antarctic Division

Kingston, Tasmania

EmailSig (2)

Phone: 03 62323571

    Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and
DELETE the message.
        Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/