[Condor-users] JOB AD: Data Center Manager for LIGO group at UW-Milwaukee

Hi,

[I have been reassured that it is acceptable to post this to
condor-users but apologize in advance to anyone who does not
want to receive advertisements for open positions in their
inbox.]

The LIGO group at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM)
is looking to hire someone to manage our data center and
contribute to the continued evolution of the LIGO Data Grid
(LDG). The position is full-time with pay commensurate with
experience. LIGO is a Condor shop so we would especially
welcome someone with roots in the Condor community.

Please circulate the text below to anyone what might be
interested in the position.

Thanks,

Scott

-------------------

The Leonard Parker Center for Gravitation, Cosmology,
and Astrophysics (CGCA) at the University of
Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) is looking for a talented
and energetic individual* with a passion for
scientific computing to research distributed, high
throughput, grid, and cloud computing in support of
LIGO research, manage our data center, and contribute
to the broader LIGO project.

Our group is a small and highly collaborative mix of
Physics faculty, research scientists, postdocs, grad
students, and undergrads, and your responsibilities
will include hardware, software, and systems design,
development, deployment, and support for large-scale
distributed computing efforts in support of our
group's scientific research.

You will have the opportunity to take ownership of
projects, and be responsible for helping to define
the vision, design, implementation, and use of the
systems you develop.  You can be an integral part of
both our local and international group, with a role
in the broader efforts outside UWM.

Experience with distributed, high throughput, grid,
and cloud computing, virtualization, scientific
workflow management, database technology, or identity
management are pluses, but not required.  If you're
smart and energetic with a strong technical
foundation and a practical focus, we will trust you
can learn anything you need to get the job done.

At an absolute minimum, you should have a science
research background and have a Ph.D. or equivalent in
physics or related field (degree to be completed by
start date of employment). You should also be
proficient in at least one high-level scripting
language and be experienced deploying and supporting
the Linux operating system.  Supervisory experience
is preferred.

LIGO is a rewarding project--fascinating, important
research into the nature of the universe, with
cutting-edge computing challenges--and the UWM CGCA
is a great group.  This job offers a supportive
working environment and lots of fun, and your work
will directly impact the success of our research
projects.  You will be around a lot of people who are
not computing experts (along with a few who are), and
you can help them do great science.

We're eager to improve the diversity of our group and
institution, so minority candidates and women are
especially encouraged to apply.

For the formal job posting and instructions to apply
online, please see http://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/9082.
Review of applications will begin on July 9, 2012 and
continue until the position is filled.

*The official position title is Assistant, Associate
or Senior Scientist.