Re: [Condor-users] Set number of Cores on Machine

On 10/01/2012 07:57 AM, RATH Jochen (AREVA) wrote:
Hello

My working station has 8 cores. Normally, I don't need 8 cores, at
minimum 6 are free to use for condor. But when I start jobs, they use
all 8 cores. Is  it possible to reduce the number of available cores of
my working station to 6?

Kind regards
         Jochen

If the problem is you have 8 slots and each runs a job, then the simplest thing to do is NUM_CPUS = 6 in your config file and restart the startd.

If the problem is that each running job may be multithreaded and run on more than one core, then have a look at the ENFORCE_CPU_AFFINITY config option (set it to TRUE).

If you want to be more flexible than NUM_CPUS = 6, you can change your START expression to disable 2 slots when ConsoleIdle or KeyboardIdle are low, see the /etc/condor/condor_config for examples. Note, there is no SLOT1_START configuration, you'll have to use something like START = ifThenElse(SlotID == 1 || SlotId == 2, config w/ *Idle, TRUE).

Best,

matt