From: "Hermann Fuchs" <hermann.fuchs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:16:26 AM
Subject: [HTCondor-users] Steer jobs towards machines with less memory

Hello everybody

First a bit of background:
In our cluster we have some jobs which require a lot of memory(3gb+), and many which require less(800mb+).
We have a lot of machines with limited amount of RAM(1-2gb) and a few which have around than 8gb of RAM.
All machines use dynamic partitioning.

I am observing now, that on the big RAM machines one or two small jobs are started, effectively blocking the big jobs due to lack of memory. At the same time some small RAM machines are still unclaimed.

Is there a configuration setting to steer jobs towards machines with less free memory? E.g. that machines with less free memory are filled up first?
Something like: Prefer faster machines with less free memory

How would I do this?

Best regards from Austria,
Hermann
--