Re: [HTCondor-users] Self Update

Having HTCondor go behind the back of Windows to dump updated binaries
would not be a good idea. If you had originally installed HTCondor
using the msi installer, Windows would get thoroughly confused with
the changed binaries. In addition, due to the way Windows locks files
that have been opened, you cannot overwrite/remove them while they are
in use. To overwrite the HTCondor binaries, you would end up having to
shut down the HTCondor service, which kills any jobs being run, so
HTCondor cannot bootstrap itself. If you want some kind of auto-update
on Windows, you'd need to work through the mechanisms Windows has,
such as group policy. Linux has its own solutions as others have
mentioned.