Re: [HTCondor-users] Failed to build 8.0.0 using WiX with win7, MSVS2010, WiX 3.7

On 23 August 2013 04:08, John (TJ) Knoeller <johnkn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is looking for the Visual Studio 2008 c-runtime merge modules.  Visual
> Studio 2010 would be VC100.
>
> Where did you get the WiX input files?   did you extract them from the
> HTCondor .ZIP file from our website?

I actually grabbed the MSI file

condor-8.0.0-133173-Windows-x86.msi

installed that, tweaked the install to match what I need to give to our
central IT facilitator, as an MSI, and then looked to build an new MSI
from there as the WiX files are in the distro.

In the way things work here, getting a base Condor installed and then
asking for customisation, is two seperate jobs. If I supply an MSI that
has all the alterations in it, as I did before, it's just one job.

I do have the corresponding ZIP as well.

> The WiX input files from the .ZIP file on our website were built using
> Visual Studio 2008 and thus require the VC90 runtime merge modules.

OK. I see the pattern now.

VS2008 is VC90 and VS2010 is VC100. So each year the VC
increases by 5.

A simple progression when you know what to look for ?!

> If you had actually built HTCondor using Visual Studio 2010,

Oh, good god no !

Always try to do as little on windows as I possibly can.

Last time I did this, in the pre-HTC days, 7.6.3 or so, so I probably
would have had VS2008 and so would not have noticed that there
was a hard-coded dependency in the Condor files.

I think you have cast enough light (light, heat and candle?) on it to
exlain why it is failing in my current environment.

I'll see if I can dig out the old VS i would have used before and see
if that works.

Ta for the info/insight.

Kevin M. Buckley

eScience Consultant
School of Engineering and Computer Science
Victoria University of Wellington
New Zealand