Re: [HTCondor-users] Windows never ending issues in HTCondor

Miha Ahronovitz wrote:
> Ralph, I wonder, based on the experience so far with Windows platform, is
> it possible to make a say, plus minus 10 bullet list with improvements
> Microsoft can  do?

Journalists and pundits have been doing this for the past... how long
has Microsoft been shipping products called "Windows"? That long. Do you
recall Windows throwing what appear to be spurious out of memory errors?
That was the GDI subsystem inherited from Windows 3.x running out of
memory for displayed object handles (windows and decorations and such).
Microsoft took almost twenty years -- Windows 9x -> 2K -> XP -> Vista --
to finally make that problem go away for good.

> We can blog this document and advertise on social media. Maybe, surprise,
> surprise, Microsoft will not ignore it

Oh, Microsoft will pay attention. They probably won't do anything about
it but that's a different thing from paying attention. You'll get usable
results much sooner by shifting to a Linux-based infrastructure.

Alternatively, if you must have something branded "Windows" then run
Windows/NT 3.51 on DEC Alpha. Only half a joke; NT 3.51 on Alpha was
almost fantastic.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science