Re: [HTCondor-users] basic configuration question #2

On 06/18/2013 08:26 PM, Hugh Jennings wrote:
Hi,

I have installed HT Condor on a windows machine to access a 2 system
test cluster.  If I execute condor_status from the windows machine I get
a predictable result

H:\condor\bin>condor_status
Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem
ActvtyTime

slot1@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.240  493
  0+00:00:04
slot2@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000  493
  0+00:00:01
slot3@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000  493
  0+00:00:02
slot4@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000  493
  0+00:00:03
slot5@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000  493
  0+00:00:04
slot6@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000  493
  0+00:00:05
slot7@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000  493
  0+00:00:06
slot8@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000  493
  0+00:00:02
slot1@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.280 6039
  0+00:00:03
slot2@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000 6039
  0+00:00:04
slot3@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000 6039
  0+00:00:05
slot4@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.000 6039
  0+00:00:06
                      Total Owner Claimed Unclaimed Matched Preempting
Backfill

         X86_64/LINUX    12     0       0        12       0          0
      0

                Total    12     0       0        12       0          0
      0

but if I try to submit a simple job file such as:

executable     = /bin/ls
universe       = vanilla
input          = /proc/cpuinfo
output         = loop.out
error          = loop.error
log            = loop.log
queue 150

I get an error message

H:\condor\bin>condor_submit ..\..\junk\simple_submit.txt
Submitting job(s)
ERROR: Executable file /bin/ls does not exist

H:\condor\bin>

During the installation on Windows I chose the "Do not run jobs on this
machine" option.  I was expecting I could just submit jobs to the
cluster. Why is it looking for a version of the binary on the local (I
assume) Windows machine?

Regards,

Hugh

condor_submit is trying to be helpful, but not smart. It can't tell that /bin/ls should exist on the eventual execute machine. It's checking for it locally (windows) and failing.

You'll need something like "transfer_executable = false" to make condor_submit less helpful.

Next up it'll likely complain about the input file being missing, same reason. You'll want to look at should_transfer_files at that point, see man condor_submit.

Finally, condor_submit is going to be helpful and set a default Requirements expression for you that will only let the jobs run on windows. It assumes you are submitting from windows therefore you want to run on windows. You'll have to do something like requirements = OsSys =!= UNDEFINED to get around that issue.

Best,

matt