Re: [HTCondor-users] Using authentication

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:45:19AM -0700, Hugh Jennings wrote:
> Zach,
>
> I appreciate your comment but there is a reason I can not implement FS
> authentication. As the cluster expands it will include Windows hosts and I
> understand that FS is not possible with them.

That is true.  BUT: You can still use FS locally on Linux to submit jobs, if
you plan on having a Linux submit node, and you can use NTSSPI to submit jobs
on Windows if you plan on having a Windows submit node.  And the daemons can
all use PASSWORD on both platforms to authenticate each other.

> Do you have any insight into what the error message means?

I'm assuming you are submitting a job when that error occurs.  It means that
that HTCondor doesn't know who to say the owner of the job is.  You could
create a CREDENTIAL_MAPFILE, but really you shouldn't use the PASSWORD method
for submitting jobs (unless this is a private cluster and you are the only
user, which doesn't seem to be the case).

If submitting locally on Linux and Windows isn't part of your plan, and you
are going to run "condor_submit -remote" on a Linux machine to submit to a
Windows schedd, or vice versa, then you'll want to use SSL authentication.
But from what I've heard, you should be fine with "FS, PASSWORD" on Linux,
and "NTSSPI, PASSWORD" on Windows.  Please let me know if that information
is enough to get you going, or if I can help in any other way.  Thanks!

Cheers,
-zach