[HTCondor-users] machine match order

in the past we used RANK in the machine config file to prefer the
match ordering of machines.

Ie if the pool is empty and the user has set no requirements or rank, then match

slot1@machinea
slot1@machineb
slot2@machinea
slot2@machineb
...and so...

therefore we were setting RANK on each machine to be a descending
number based on some criteria, where by the highest assigned machine
rank, gets the match first

slot1@machinea rank=1000
slot1@machineb rank=999
slot2@machinea rank=998
slot2@machineb rank=997
...and so...

this used to work in condor 7.4, 7.6, 7.8, but it doesn't seem to be
working in 8.0.  Does anyone know whether something changed in the
RANK classads mechanism?  It's also possible we broke something during
the upgrade, but i've yet to find it

is there a better way to do this?