Re: [HTCondor-users] accounting groups

On 11/11/2013 8:44 AM, Pek Daniel wrote:
Hi,

As I understand, accounting groups are the way to do fair share
between groups of people, like projects, experiments or departments,
etc

Correct.

Two questions:
- is it possible to use these groups in a hierarchical way, like
groups, subgroups, subsubgroups?

Yes. The mechanism to provide this functionality in HTCondor is called "Hierarchical Group Quotas" (sometimes you will see folks on the email list abbreviate it to 'HGQ'). The trick to make things hierarchical is setup your group/subgroup/subsubgroup tree and then allow various subgroups to take "surplus" from one another.

The good news is there is a section in the manual on HGQ. The bad news is imho this documentation needs to be improved, esp by the addition of examples/scenarios. Another potential piece of bad news is if your are using slotweights combined with HGQ, your slot weight expression is currently limited to only referencing number of CPU cores (this is something we hope to improve in this developer series).

See the Manual section "Accounting Groups with Hierarchical Group Quotas" at
  http://goo.gl/Lk8A8U
and the condor_negotiator GROUP_* knobs at
  http://goo.gl/mLSUKQ

Daniel, if you have a relatively straight-forward group setup in mind that you'd be willing to share, feel free to email an english description of it and one of the folks experienced with it could take a stab at translating it into an HTCondor HGQ setup. Maybe then we'd use this as a new example in the manual or the wiki.

- does any authentication happen against users being members of a
group, or anybody can claim to be the member of
"group_with_best_priority", and get better priority for his/her jobs?

Currently no authorization happens. This is something we are considering adding.

best regards,
Todd