Re: [HTCondor-users] using hdfs with HTCondor awaring data locality

I suspect the gains to be had are smaller than you may expect.  However, an example of a classad function that does this may be found here:

https://github.com/scooperstein/hdfs_best_hosts_caplugin

Instead of directly embedding calls to this function in the job rank _expression_, we introduced a layer of indirection.  The job rank _expression_ refers to an attribute that is updated periodically by condor_job_router, which evaluates the custom classad function to determine the list of most desireable machines for the job to run on.  This way, the custom function only needs to be linked into condor_job_router, and the rest of condor is never slowed down by performing this query.

One problem with this idea is what happens when the whole cluster is busy.  When a machine finishes running a job, the scheduling problem is not which machine the next job would prefer but which job would be best to run on the idle machine.  The condor_schedd is optimized for the former type of scheduling.  We have worked on a small patch to the schedd to make it do the other type of scheduling when desired.  This is not yet in a release of condor.

--Dan