[HTCondor-users] Condor 8.0.2 stdout and stderr logging behavior

Hi,

We recently upgraded to Condor version 8.0.2 on Windows and it seems the logging behavior of stderr and stdout has changed from earlier versions.

Considering this basic submit file

universe = vanilla

run_as_owner = True

log = logfile.txt

output = out.txt

error = error.txt

executable = hello.bat

queue

where hello.bat contains

@echo off

dir

The job runs fine. The out.txt file contains a directory listing and error.txt is empty. If I introduce a typo to the batch file replacing ‘dir’ with ‘di’ and resubmit the job will fail and an the error is recorded. However, the existing out.txt is not replaced or truncated. Then suppose I fix the typo in hello.bat and resubmit and the job runs fine. The earlier error.txt persists. In the previous condor version we were using a successful run would always result in an empty error file.

Is there some setting we can use in our submit files to replace or truncate the output and error logs on any new condor submit? Obviously we could handle the deletion of any existing logs before a new submit in an additional script, but we would rather not.

Any advice is much appreciated,

Russell.

http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg