Re: [HTCondor-users] Condor on Android /iOS mobile operating system

HTCondor on iOS won't happen. HTCondor requires access to the system in
ways that would violate Apple's sandbox requirements.

Android applications are Java code that's run through a converter for
the Dalvik run-time. I don't see HTCondor being completely rewritten in
Java any time soon so no HTCondor for Android.

It may be possible to compile HTCondor to run between the kernel and the
Dalvik run-time on Android. Yes, it's a Linux kernel in there but it's a
very minimalist kernel and the userland is similarly stripped down to
the bare essentials.

No native Java so the Java universe is out. No VM system so the VM
universe is out. No grid management so the Grid universe is out. No
shared file systems (NFS, SMB) so the Vanilla universe is probably out.
Limited CPU threads combined with the limited RAM footprint (a "big"
Android device has 2GB RAM and no swap) leaves the Parallel universe
severely constrained. Local and Scheduler universes should work. I don't
know if Google's kernels have the necessary support for the Standard
universe.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science