Re: [HTCondor-users] condor_ssh_to_job

On 13/08/14 17:10, Brian Bockelman wrote:
On Aug 13, 2014, at 10:48 AM, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Steve,

(DOE regulations aside... I accept not all things in life are technical issues)

Hm - realized I wasn't being clear on this point.

If your site policy forbids interactive access to worker nodes (that's fine - we do at Nebraska), then turning off condor_ssh_to_job is a fine thing.  It'll help remind folks who "forget" they agree to the policy.

The reason I don't login interactively to FNAL worker nodes is because it's against the AUP I agreed to, not because you disabled condor_ssh_to_job.  Technical mechanisms are no substitute for establishing a trust - ultimately a social relationship (AUPs, user education, etc).

Too often we forget only consider only the technical mechanisms to influence behavior at the exclusion of social mechanisms.

To use Keith's example, my theory is that if he wrote in the MOTD "Users may use condor_ssh_to_job for up to 5 minutes at a time and only for debugging purposes.  Violators will have their access removed and their group lead notified", the end result would be the same as if he spent several days working on restricted shells.

Brian

Without condor_ssh_to_job: User can run any arbitrary code.
With condor_ssh_to_job: User can run any arbitrary code (but now has better tools for debugging his or her code).

So, by "uncontrollable access hole", I assume you mean "the user can do the same set of activities as before, but now some are easier".

Keith: Any user job can start hundreds of processes and occupy slots indefinitely.  This is true regardless of condor_ssh_to_job.  If you don't want the user to have the ability to do this, there are other knobs you need to turn, not condor_ssh_to_job.

Again - if (from a security POV) you can't trust your user with condor_ssh_to_job, I question whether you should trust them to run code in the first place.

Brian