Re: [HTCondor-users] HTCondor ClassAd attributes list in python bindings

On Dec 27, 2013, at 4:04 AM, Alessandro <a.sabellico@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> After loosing 2 days trying to submit a job in python bindings using the same attributes names that  appear in a condor submit file, I realized that attributes names submitting using python are different.
>
> For example:
> Universe       = vanilla
> Executable     = my_script.sh
> arguments	= $(Process)
>
> input   = /dev/null
> output  = hello_$(Process).out
> error   = hello_$(Process).error
>
> would be like this:
> ad = classad.ClassAd();
> ad['Universe'] = 'vanilla';
> ad['Cmd'] = 'my_script.sh';
> ad['Arguments'] = classad.ExprTree(ProcID);
> ad['In'] = '/dev/null'
> ad['Out'] = classad.ExprTree('strcat("my_script.", ClusterID, ".", ProcID, ".out")');
>
> Where can i find an extensive list of the attributes that can be used in a ClassAd using Python bindings?

Hi Alessandro,

Sorry about the confusion!  It's unfortunate-but-true that the "condor submit file" language is different from the ClassAd language (and the python bindings use ClassAds).

Looking at the sample documentation in the manual, I realize that the short example of using "submit" doesn't really cover the submit attributes:

http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/v8.1/6_7Python_Bindings.html#SECTION00773000000000000000

Bummer!  I'll talk to some folks and see if we can't come up with any brilliant ideas on how to improve the situation.

The job ClassAd language is extensively documented here:

http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/v8.1/12_Appendix_A.html

However, that covers almost everything - and doesn't highlight the "common" attributes everyone needs versus the esoteric ones.

One way to get a feel for this is to use "condor_submit -dump" to convert a given submit file to a classad.  Unfortunately, that dumps *every* attribute, so you really have to pick your way through the relevant attributes to pull out the relevant ones.

Hope this helps!  If you don't mind writing TeX, patches are certainly accepted.

Brian