Re: [HTCondor-users] 8.2.1 COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS still works?

There have been some changes to how this works in 8.2, but COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS should still impact the calculation of NUM_CPUS if you don't set
NUM_CPUS explicitly.

We recognised that the startd was picking an effective value for NUM_CPUS if you didn't set it.  And that calculation pays attention to COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS,
but in 8.0.x  the value of NUM_CPUS was never being set.  So you couldn't refer to it in your config files.

In 8.2 there are three automatic configuration variables that are set to remedy this.

DETECTED_PHYSICAL_CPUS  is set to the detected value of real CPUs it does not count hyperthreads
DETECTED_CORES                   is set to the detected value of hyperthreads.
DETECTED_CPUS                    is set to either the same value as DETECTED_CORES or as DETECTED_PHYSICAL_CPUS depending on what COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS is set to.
NUM_CPUS defaults to $(DETECTED_CPUS)

For example, here's the dump from my desktop.  (irrelevant lines omitted)
>condor_config_val -dump cpus cores
# Parameters with names that match cpus:
COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS = true
DETECTED_CPUS = 4
DETECTED_PHYSICAL_CPUS = 2
NUM_CPUS = $(DETECTED_CPUS)

# Parameters with names that match cores:
DETECTED_CORES = 4
Now the same command with COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS = false
# Parameters with names that match cpus:
COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS = false
DETECTED_CPUS = 2
DETECTED_PHYSICAL_CPUS = 2
NUM_CPUS = $(DETECTED_CPUS)

# Parameters with names that match cores:
DETECTED_CORES = 4

If DETECTED_PHYSICAL_CPUS is showing 12 then the problem isn't COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS, the problem is the detection code.

On 7/8/2014 2:13 AM, Klint Gore wrote:

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if startd parameter COUNT_HYPERTHREAD_CPUS still works?  In my 8.0.6 setup, I had it on some 6 core i7’s and I only got 6 slots.  Now on 8.2.1 with the same setting, they get 12 slots.

The setting is in condor_config.local which according to MasterLog was read.

Centos 6.3, condor rpm from wisc.edu yum repository.

Thanks,

Klint.

--
Klint Gore