From: HTCondor-users [mailto:htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kevin Buckley
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:21 PM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List
Subject: [HTCondor-users] condor_power query

Hi there,

our central IT guys have recently been looking at deploying a power-saving product, Nightwatchman, and as a result we're now looking at how it will play with the Condor resource that we run across their windows 7 real-estate.

Just as a basic test of the Condor 7.4.4 windows deployments we have, we have seen some strange behaviours when just ascertaining if condor_power does what it says on the tin

We have two windows 7 machines on the same network and one of them is put to sleep.

Using a tool called WakemeOnLan on the other, a WinDump (the windows equivalent of tcpdump) shows a 102-byte UDP packet being broadcast to

255.255.255.255:40000 (safetynetp)

and the machine wakes up.

Invoking, within a CMD.EXE, a

condor_power -m aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

sees a message telling us that a packet has been sent but WinDump reports nothing.

Invoking condor_power with a subnet mask,

condor_power -s 111.222.333.0 -m aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

has WinDump showng us a 102-byte UDP packet being broadcast to

255.255.255.255:9 (discard)

but the target machine does not wake up.

I am told that there is nothing blocking port 9 on that network segment.

In both cases, echoing the windows condor_power return code with

echo %errorlevel%

gives a 0 indicating success.

Adding the -d flag to the condor_power invocations doesn't add anything to the investigation.

Any clues or anyone seen anything like this ?

Kevin M. Buckley

eScience Consultant
School of Engineering and Computer Science Victoria University of Wellington New Zealand _______________________________________________
HTCondor-users mailing list

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.