Re: [HTCondor-users] maximum of 9 dynamically allocated slots on Windows?

On 5/28/2014 5:59 PM, Alex Chubaty wrote:
Poring over logs reveals that jobs are trying to start on slots 10
through 32, but get killed immediately due to a 10054 error. It looks
like the user used to run these jobs ( condor-reuse-slot1_XX ) cannot
be created, thus resulting in permission errors. Windows usernames
appear to have a limit of 20chars, which looks like it's causing the
21-character condor username to fail ( condor-reuse-slot1_X is OK but
condor-reuse-slot1_XX is not ).

The current workaround we've employed is creating 4 partitionable
slots, each with 25% share of resources. Of course this means that
the maximum amount of ram etc. that any single job can use is more
limited than it would be using a single partitionable slot. Note,
this is not a problem on our linux machines.

Is this a known bug? Is there a better solution/workaroundi

Hi Alex -

Thanks for the diagnosing the problem so completely and taking the time to bring it to our attention. We will fix this issue for v8.2.0.

I created a ticket about this problem on the wiki here:
  https://htcondor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=4388

At the above URL, I described how we will fix the issue for the next release of HTCondor (v8.2.0), and also brain-stormed some potential workarounds that you may like better.

Hope the above helps,
regards,
Todd