Re: [HTCondor-users] HTCondor 8.2.4 Released

Not exactly -

/etc/condor/condor_config.local is %config(noreplace) in older versions, but the intent was to remove it completely in 8.2.4.  When a %config(noreplace) file is removed from the RPM itself, it'll be renamed to .rpmsave (differs from the upgrade).  This has the side-effect of un-setting anything the admin has set locally.

What should have been done is any custom contents of condor_config.local should have been migrated to /etc/condor/config.d as part of post-install trigger script.

As I mentioned in the upstream ticket (ahem, before the release ;) ):

https://htcondor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=4552

OSG also tried to remove condor_config.local for our HTCondor RPM and did the same thing as was done in 8.2.4.  OSG was sufficiently burned by this same mistake that we added it back.

To some extent, this is a last part of pulling off the band-aid in migrating from single monolithic files to the more RPM-like config.d directory.  To make it even more modern, we ought to move condor_config to a non-/etc directory.  Toward that goal, for HTCondor-CE, we have this in condor_config:

LOCAL_CONFIG_DIR = /usr/share/condor-ce/config.d,/etc/condor-ce/config.d

This way, we ship any defaults in /usr/share/condor-ce/config.d/; admins can edit anything in /etc/condor-ce/config.d without worrying about it getting changed on upgrade.  Fedora is trying to get packages to swim toward the goal of being able to boot with an empty /etc:

http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/stateless.html

(still a long way to go, of course; packages should still write well-documented example files in /etc.)

Brian