Re: [HTCondor-users] [CondorLIGO] Problem with parallel universe jobs and dynamic partitioning

In that case, it should be ensured that parallel jobs may use already
existing dynamic slots if they match the requirements. Something that
apparently doesn't happen now.

	Well, yes.  Hence the need for startd rank on dynamic slots.

I understand that, but I don't understand why it has be done by a central
task, not a daemon running locally on the machine

The "pool-wide" part is important -- how would any individual startd be able to make policy decisions about how much less work it should do now in order to accept a wider variety of jobs later?

Okay, so we've reached a catch-22 if there are only parallel jobs
on a pool?

The queued idle jobs would have to wait for one (or or more) of the running jobs to finish.

I've been trying to do this using NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK, but obviously failed (at least in the ParU case).

	IIRC, NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK can not cause preemption.

I cannot see the difference of a dynamically created slot and a static one when it comes to matching (should there be any?)...

AFAIK, there isn't. The problem (as I understand it) isn't the matching -- it's after the match, when the question comes up about what to do about the job that's already using the matched resoures.

- Todd